Sunday, May 20, 2012

Madelyn's Story


Madelyn Nichole Taft
Born: April 16
Time: 7:06 pm
Weight: 7 lbs 6 oz
Length: 21 inches




I can’t believe a month has past since our little Madelyn Nichole came into our family.  She is such a good baby; she sleeps well, hardly cries and is just so laid back. It’s hard to believe that this is the same baby that refused to come out of her mama’s belly!

Madelyn’s Birth

We arrived at the hospital in the late morning; I was scheduled to be induced. After getting all hooked up to the machines and IV’s the nurses checked me. I was dilated a 2 and 60% effaced.  The oxcytocin started to kick in and the contractions started to get stronger and closer together.  After about  two hours I decided to get an epidural because the anesthesiologist was going to be out working on a c-section for a couple of hours and if I didn’t get the epidural right then,  then  I would have to wait. The contractions weren’t too bad but, I didn’t want to be kicking myself later if I decided to wait. (Been there done that before, never again! Haha) when they stuck the needle in a felt a huge zing down my right side all the way to my foot. It was the weirdest feeling. The only way I can explain it is the feeling you get when you put your tongue on a battery.  The epidural instantly tired me out. I took a short nap and then was awakened by the nurse coming in to check my progress. I hadn’t progressed too much in an hour. She said that I was a 3 ½ and still 60%. Bummer!
My doctor came by about an hour later to check my progress and break my water. Unfortunately, I only progressed to a 4 and was still 60% effaced. We were hoping that breaking my water would speed things up a bit. Yah, that didn’t happen.  They came and checked me again an hour later and while I was waiting to hear what I was the nurse suddenly looked a little concerned. She decided to check me again; I didn’t progress.  The nurse said that she wasn’t feeling the baby’s head anymore, that she was feeling an arm instead. My doctor left earlier so, she called in the on-call doctor to come in and check.  He came in and sure enough he confirmed what the nurse had said. The baby had her arm wrapped up over her head and wouldn’t move it. The doctor tried for a few minutes to coax her to move but, she wouldn’t budge.  He said we could wait for a little while longer and see if she would move on her own however, if she didn’t move they would have to do a c-section. My heart just plummeted to the floor; I couldn’t even hold back the tears, I felt so helpless. Hyrum came over to my side and asked me if he could give me a blessing.  It was just what I needed. I felt so much better after the blessing and knew that everything would be fine. And you know what, it was. The nurse came in 30 minutes later and checked me. Madi had moved her arm down, and I was dilated to a 10! The nurse said that the baby’s hand was still on her head but that was okay and that we wouldn’t have to do the c-section. She left the room to go call my doctor and let him know that I was ready to have this baby! Fifteen minutes later, they put the most beautiful little infant onto my chest. Our Madelyn was here!!! Our prayers had been answered. J



Madelyn's going home outfit! So cute! 


Mommy and Madelyn ready to go home.


No comments: